Another idea. If the person you are making the mug rug/gift card sleeve for doesn't drink coffee, put a Strawberry Ichigo on it instead! (both the Latte to Go and Strawberry Ichigo finish at 6" square, 6.5" unfinished). Wouldn't that be cute? Along with a gift card to the local kitchen shop and you have the perfect gift for the cooking connoisseur in your life.
Note: all seams are 1/4" for each project.
Mug rug. What you will need and the steps to make it:
- layer the backing right side down, then the batting, then the Latte to Go block right side up and pin and quilt.
- Trim the excess batting and backing.
- Using manufacturers directions, apply the grommet to the upper left hand corner of the mug rug.
Gift card sleeve. What you will need and the steps to make it:
What you need: a completed Latte to Go block (reduce the pattern copy by 50% before making it), 2 pieces of lining fabric and one backing fabric cut to 2 3/4" X 3 1/2", 3" ribbon.
2. Fold the ribbon in half and stitch it down 1/8" from the edge to the block on the upper left corner, about 1/2"-3/4" from the edge.
3. With right sides together, sew the top edge of the block to the top edge of one of the lining pieces. Repeat with the backing fabric and the remaining lining piece.
4. With right sides together, pin the block and lining and the back and lining pieces together. Sew around the edge, making sure to leave a hole for turning at the end of the backing edge. (I used the two pins on the left edge of the photo to indicate where to stop and start sewing.)
5. Turn the piece through the opening. Press, then stitch the opening closed.
6. Push the lining down inside the gift card sleeve and press again.
You are done!
Use a matching ribbon to tie the sleeve to the mug rug, purchase your gift card, and you are ready to give!