Thursday, 30 August 2012

Curtains and Kitchens

Penny and I always like to make a project with our Sew-Ichgio blocks to give you a little creative kick start that you can either do yourself or use as a springboard for your own ideas.  With my latest pattern, Strawberry-Ichigo, I made a curtain for a skinny window in my kitchen.  The I chose six shades from the Oakshott Ruby Reds range  to show different stages of ripening.  

I kept the block to the standard 6" finished size and added sashing (3 1/2" x 6 1/2") between the blocks before adding a strip below and the main block of linen above.  From then on, I  made it as a standard curtain.  I am no expert, in fact I loathe making large curtains,  so I pull it together in a fairly random way.  It is a small curtain so I can get away with some slip shod ways!  If you want to do a more professional job there is a great list of tutorials here.
I tread a fine line in my little house between covering every surface in patchwork/quilty items and restraint, so I thought you might like a quick tour around the craftiness in my kitchen- who doesn't like a poke around other people's houses?   My blind was a standard roller to which I added a little Alexander Henry fabric trim.  It was harder to do than I imagined , that long seam n fabric that cant be squished or folded meant I had to sit the sewing machine in the middle of a room to make it work.
My Teapot Fancy cosy gets used twice a day when I make a proper loose leaf pot.  I like a strong Earl Grey, especially first thing in the morning- although a little delicate green jasmine tea is in the vintage cup and saucer below.  I love my turquoise work top!
 Here is a morning brew in a giant mug and sitting on top of a runner made from a little bee group where we made blocks from Kumiko Fujita's 318 Patchwork book.   The little boxes next to the mug store the many phone/ipad chargers!
 I have more goodies from friends.  Under the tongs and whisk you can see a beautiful potholder made by Megan when we did a little swap last year- perfect colours and foodie fabrics.
And hiding on a vintage cup rack- an oven hand mit from Penny which sees regular usage- love that peep of binding. 
Hope you enjoyed your tour!  We are just working on a little back to school set, ready very soon- sneak peek of Penny's design here!

11 comments:

  1. So many beautiful things in one space! I love the idea of embellishing a kitchen blind - we're getting a new kitchen and I've been debating making one but adding a strip of fabric could be a great compromise (assuming I can sit in the middle of the kitchen floor to get it done!!!) Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a farily little space too! I am not capable of minimalist living that is for sure. Blinds are not too tough to make, you definitely benefit from proper fabric stiffener spray. i have made a roller blind before using the fittings of an old one.

      Delete
  2. These are all so beautiful! Great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Kara! I feel like my crafty world is in every room of the house

      Delete
  3. Lovely tour. One of my favorite things--peeking inside someone else's house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of those guilty pleasure isn't it!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful tour! Thank you for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Lime, guests are always welcome!

      Delete
  5. Your ideas are lovely. thanks for showing them.

    ReplyDelete

We love getting your feedback and comments! We will reply in the comments thread on each post- thankyou :)

Counter

you might like...